Office of the National Coordinator
The Office of the National Coordinator is responsible for directing and coordinating the activities of the SZI. Further, the office of the National Coordinator is responsible and accountable for the proper management of eGovernment programs and oversees the formulation and implementation of the eGovernment interventions. It shall perform the strategic focus setting role while the functional heads will be responsible for executing the technical aspects of the Institute’s functions. In addition, the office of the National Coordinator ensures that there are effective linkages among and within the Directorates and Units to strengthen internal systems, improve co-ordination and communication for effective performance of the Institute.
In this regard, the Office of the National Coordinator also ensures that there are effective management and control mechanisms such as quarterly and monthly meetings at which long and short-term issues affecting the performance of the Centre and ICT units in the MPSAs are discussed and reports are presented on activities carried out and plans for the future outlined. The National Coordinator, therefore, has the overall responsibility of institutionalizing strategic management in the Institute.
Quality Assurance and Security Unit
A Quality Assurance and Security Unit has been established in the National Coordinator’s Office. The Unit is there to ensure strict compliance to prescribed quality and security standards in order to establish a secure environment that will enhance confidence and trust in the effective use of ICT infrastructure and applications.
The specific functions of the Quality Assurance and Security Unit are to:
- Undertake quality assurance in order to ensure adherence to set standards in systems development, network and application management as well as data centre operations
- Provide and manage technical and operational security tools and technologies in order to facilitate execution of ICT assignments
- Carry out ICT Audit assessments on networks, mobile, databases, servers, applications and operating systems in order to identify and address vulnerabilities that may compromise the systems
- Carry out computer forensic investigations to prevent and address attacks
- Facilitate security awareness training and capacity building in order to educate users on ICT standards and
- Institute and oversee a formal risk management framework in order to secure information assets.
The Unit is headed by a Manager who is assisted by one (01) Principal Quality Assurance and Compliance Officer and (01) Principal Security & Forensic Officer. However, the Unit is broken into two sub units as follows:
- Quality Assurance and Compliance
- IT Security
Quality Assurance and Compliance Sub Unit
The Sub-Unit ensures compliance to prescribed standards in order to facilitate uniform system performance, integrity and integration. The Sub-Unit is headed by a Principal – Quality Assurance and Compliance Officer who is assisted by two (02) Senior Quality Assurance and Compliance Officers.
The specific functions of the Quality Assurance and Compliance Sub-Unit are to:
- Acquire, enforce and maintain quality assurance standards that guide systems development, network and application management as welt will as data center operations
- Carry out periodic penetration tests on the network and application systems to ascertain levels of compliance to prescribed standards
- Manage a formal risk assessment framework in order to secure information assets
- Prepare and document reports of non-adherence to available security standards
- Carry out planned and un-planned ICT Audit assessments on networks, mobile, databases, servers, applications and operating systems in order to check for vulnerabilities that may compromise the systems and
- Carry out quality assurance assessments on all acquired or in-house developed applications with the aim of sealing vulnerabilities.
IT Security Sub Unit
This Sub-Unit ensures strict implementation of prescribed security standards in order to maintain the integrity of the infrastructure and information assets. It is headed by a Principal – Security Officer who is assisted by one (01) Senior IT Security Officer.
The specific functions of the IT Security Sub-Unit are to:
- Plan, design and implement security mechanisms on all network devices in order to minimize network downtime and system failures
- Design and implement appropriate methodologies on all web-based applications in order to ensure security of web applications, data and online user credentials
- Ensure adoption of Defensive Programming Methodologies (DPM) on all applications being developed in-house in order to ensure security
- Design and implement appropriate strategies to protect ICT infrastructure from and react to both internal and external threats
- Ensure adherence to information security policies and standards in order to deter security breaches.
Business Development Unit
The Business Development Unit is a unit that is also established in the office of the National Coordinator. The Unit ensures business linkages between SZI other commercial entities within and outside the country. This unit is headed by an Assistant Director-Business Development who is assisted by two (2) Principal Business Development Officers and two (2) Senior Business Development Officers.
Below are the specific functions carried out by the Business Development Unit:
- To conduct business research by gathering, studying analyzing information in order to identify business needs within and outside the country;
- To conduct short and long term business planning in order to identify business opportunities for further business development by SZI
- To collaborate with other technical departments in order to ensure that the needs of strategic partners are identified
- To market the potential of SZI in order to ensure uptake of services developed and offered.