The broad functions include:
- Development and management of national e-government and ICT policies and programmes.
- Development of appropriate strategies that enhance uptake and application of ICT innovations in the Public Sector
- Championing and promotion of ICT literacy and utilization in the Public Sector
- Undertaking research on ICTs to enhance e-governance and other e-services
- Development of supportive and enabling shared infrastructure to ensure equitable access to effective and appropriate ICTs
- Development, dissemination and enforcement of stringent quality assurance, security and other standards in the provision of ICTs
- Designing and development of appropriate applications for the support of e-governance and other e-services
- Provision of technical support to various ICT projects, programs and interventions in the Public Service
- Management of service level agreements with service providers and clients
- Management of the recruitment and placement of ICT staff in Ministries, Provinces and Spending Agencies (MPSAs).